Tuesday 27 October 2009

Teed Off

I have been at work this week. I didn’t want to be at work this week, but circumstances beyond my control have meant that I have had to report in to base at 7.15am each day to get on with things. The project I have been working on has over-run very badly on the other side of the fence. Not our fault, but as we are a partner with our client we all share their pain and do our best to get through to implementation.

I do feel sorry for myself but more so for those over the road who are under much more pressure than us to deliver a solution, at minimal cost and impact to the business, with immediate savings to the current cost base and an enhanced customer experience.

And what is my reason for not wanting to be at work? It’s half term, and a most other Dads in the office are using up their annual leave with their family doing things that Dads do at half term. Having fun, going to the park, going out and acting the same age as the kids.

My elder daughter Gemma has recently joined Stanmore Golf club and I wanted to take her to a golf tournament on Friday, and I wanted to see her play today. I also wanted to help her with her swing (file note: this sort of help is often considered a hindrance) as she is pushing the ball out to the right at the moment. I could have also helped Lucy with the taxiing round and got involved with all the other parent type things that go on in the school holidays.

Alas, none of this was to be, and I had to be satisfied with a verbal report on her round. I was informed that she didn’t manage to get a par, but scored a four on one of the long holes (?!), plenty of sixes, four eights, and a five and a seven. I calculated that she was round in around 112 shots, not bad for a ten year old. Her target is to be under a hundred by the spring.

Gemma now has a handicap which is thirty six. I’m not sure how this is calculated as I thought the juniors were allowed a few more shots than the seniors, but according to the certificate thirty six it is. I’ve played for years and never ever had a handicap so she's now officially ahead of me in the world of golf

No comments:

Post a Comment